Get Paid To Promote, Get Paid To Popup, Get Paid Display Banner -->

Sunday, March 20, 2011

Is This Really What Music Has Come To?

You've probably heard of Rebecca Black's viral pop single, "Friday," a senseless mash of Auto-Tune, lyrics about Black's morning routine, and an overall complete lack of creativity. Ark Music Factory, a record label that lets young artists record a track for a fee, is where the song was born. Black's mother paid Ark Music Factory $2,000 for a package that included a choice between two pre-written songs. Black chose "Friday," written by Clarence Jay and Patrice Wilson. The rest is history...

The music video for Friday has gotten over 20 million hits on Youtube. On March 14th, the song was released on iTunes and since then, it has climbed the Top 100 chart, landing at #39 (beating out JBiebs, who, according to an interview with Black, is one of her favorite singers. Go figure). The song has gotten numerous critical comments, some about the inane lyrics, some about the over-use of Auto-Tune, and some about Black's appearance. When I first watched the video for Friday, I honestly thought it was a satire trying to convey how processed music has become. In fact, Rolling Stone called it an "unintentional parody of modern pop." Here are some of the lyrics:



7am, waking up in the morning
Gotta be fresh, gotta go downstairs
Gotta have my bowl, gotta have cereal...



7:45, we�re drivin� on the highway
Cruisin� so fast, I want time to fly
Fun, fun, think about fun
You know what it is
I got this, you got this
My friend is by my right
I got this, you got this
Now you know it

Kickin� in the front seat
Sittin� in the back seat
Gotta make my mind up
Which seat can I take?



Yesterday was Thursday, Thursday
Today is Friday, Friday (Partyin�)
We we we so excited
We so excited
We gonna have a ball today
Tomorrow is Saturday
And Sunday comes afterwards...



'Nuff said.
But if you aren't quite convinced that "Friday" is arguably the worst song ever, check out the video below:





The video blew my mind, and not in a good way. It made my brain melt and then freeze and then melt and refreeze as I realized that this song is not a joke. Also, as one of the Youtube commenters put it, "lmao at the 12 year old driving."

No comments:

Post a Comment