Get Paid To Promote, Get Paid To Popup, Get Paid Display Banner -->

Friday, May 23, 2008

Jan Taminiau

I first discovered this genius on Susie Bubble's blog (thank you, thank you!) and I am yet again in awe of such a talent.




There seems to be quite a lot of garments out there at the moment which can be used in two ways, reversed or open for customisation by the wearer, and I fully support this idea. With the economic climate being like it is at the moment I doubt I am the only person in this city with less money to spend on fashion (Something tells me the above dress may still be above most price ranges...still we can dream eh?).





The dress is beautiful in both forms, however I can't imagine it being worn in its quilt-like state. I'd love to be proved wrong but I should imagine, if bought, that the woman would only ever show the full version. Or should this be considered as more of an art piece, not to be worn at all but to be exhibited?





On his website, he says this about his art/fashion:
"The meticulously constructed creations enable to wearer to experiment endlessly with form. In my quest for the perfect fit I pursue new shapes and unconventional techniques. By weaving and interweaving fabrics I enable a natural form to emerge which drawers character from the wearer. I leave behind the fast-moving and fickle world to return to what is nowadays almost a nostalgic source: security, respect for craftmanship."





It's so refreshing to hear a designer concsiously trying to regain what we have lost in the modern world of fashion - what with Primark et al popping up on high streets all over the country the skill, passion and need to treasure clothing has been lost.





Although beautiful in their own right, I often wonder how designers like Taminiau sell their work. The bigger avante-garde 'brands' like McQueen, Galliano and Westwood branch out into smaller, more accessible items such as handbags and fragrances to bring in the cash. I wish him (?!) the best of luck...may you get the credit you deserve.




No comments:

Post a Comment