Get Paid To Promote, Get Paid To Popup, Get Paid Display Banner -->

Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Are You a "Mean Girl?"

Take all this pink showing up in stores everywhere with the fact that a certain movie has been on perma-re-run for the last couple weeks and I've got "Mean Girls" on the brain big time. I think I've seen "Mean Girls" three times in the last week?!

"Mean Girls" is actually one of my favorite movies. I don't know what it is about it. Sure, it's won a couple awards, but I think I just like it because it's entertaining. Anywho, watching this movie had me wondering if anyone out there has been or is a "mean girl." For me, I've been on every side of the "popularity" world. Throughout middle and high school, I was a bit of a "home school jungle freak" like early-movie-Cady. I'm not from Africa, and I've never been home-schooled, but I was definitely, completely clueless and a bit sheltered. I was by no means popular and I really didn't fit in with any of the cliques in my school. I wasn't into fashion and didn't really care about shopping (can you believe it?). I was quiet and shy and introverted. I was known as the "smart girl who ice skates." I wanted to be "popular" but I didn't know how.

When I got to college, I decided I wanted to be more extroverted, so I went through rush and joined a sorority. The sorority I joined has a pretty good rep in the south and was supposedly one of the ones that was harder to get into. I know it sounds stupid, but joining that sorority was like finally being accepted by the "popular girls" - I couldn't believe it. They were so pretty and outgoing and confident - everything I thought I wasn't. I guess I felt like if these girls liked me enough that maybe I could like myself enough. Joining the sorority helped give me more confidence and helped me realize that I wasn't such a bad person after all. Now, everyone has their own stereotype of a sorority girl, and some are probably true and a lot are probably false, but it was a fun time in my life. I'm not going to say that I was BFF with everyone in the sorority because I wasn't, but it was nice seeing people you knew almost everywhere you went. Joining a sorority was like joining a clique, except in college, you don't only talk to the people in your clique. I joined a lot of organizations, like Student Alumni Council, and I met a lot of people in college and made lots of good friends - both inside and outside of the sorority. I learned that it didn't matter so much what other people thought of you, but what you thought of yourself.

Still, sorority girls have lots of stereotypes - sorority girls are fake, mean, superficial, snobby...whatever. Was I ever a "mean girl?" Probably so. I don't think I was a complete b*tch, but, hey, who hasn't had a bad day? I'll have to think more about my potential "mean girl" moments and post them later...If I can think of any, of course.

So, what about you, dear readers? Have you ever been a "mean girl?" What did you do? Tell me your "mean girl" story.

NOTE: Photo source unknown - if you are the owner and object to its use, please email me at shopaholicd at gmail dot com. Thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment