Get Paid To Promote, Get Paid To Popup, Get Paid Display Banner -->

Saturday, August 29, 2009

POP vs LOVE

As I've now been paid from my wonderful new job, I spent the day shopping. Not much to report, however I did pick up the new issues of POP and LOVE magazines. I have always been a lover of POP, and I wanted to see if after Katie Grands departure, it retained the quality and innovation I remember. LOVE is obviously Katie Grands new venture, so I had to see what all the hype was about. I have to say though - I am not impressed LOVE. As Queen Michelle pointed out a few weeks ago, the issue is dedicated to under 21s. I have absolutely no problem with this, however the entire magazine is riddled with stereotypical, rebellious teens. Apart from a small feature on Tavi (who also happens to be on the cover of POP), there is no emphasis on the intelligent, mould-breaking youth of today that who are surfacing all over the Internet, and beyond. Not to mention Pixie Geldof splattered all over the magazine - I'm not sure if it's the same outside of London, but she is constantly in the London papers and to be honest...I've had enough.

As a 25 year old fashion designer I love my magazines, but I have to say this is the first time that I cannot relate, at all, to a glossy fashion mag. After all the hype that has surrounded LOVE magazine, and Grand's previous work with POP, I am extremely disappointed.

POP on the other hand is impeccable. I haven't yet read it cover to cover, but what I have seen has beaten all my expectations. Over recent months, one of the main reasons I stopped buying the glossies was because they started to blend into one. Maybe I've just had magazine overload, but it felt like they all had the same adverts with very similar editorials, opinions and nothing really to shout about. POP on the other hand has exploded back onto the scene with plenty shout about, which can be noticed as soon as you pick it up.

It is a very brave move putting fashion blogger extraordinaire Tavi Gevinson on the cover. To us bloggers she is (most likely) a daily read, however we can be guilty of living in our own little microcosm, and the rest of the world won't necessarily understand how a 13 year old American has managed to get on the front page of the launch issue of POP. The magazine is at the very fore-front of fashion, acknowledging and understanding the experimental DIY culture of the blogosphere and accepting the explosion of opinions now flooding the web, as Dasha Zhukova explains,

'Smart, talented young women like Tavi stand on the frontline whether magazine executives choose to recognise it or not. We are entering a new era of global growth, not just economically but culturally...Traditional media may continue to glorify the 15-minute famous, but in the end it is young women like Tavi who hold the winning hand.'

As I said, I haven't properly sat down and read POP yet - I want to save that for my hungover Sunday morning in bed, with a nice cuppa - but it immediately strikes me that taking time out was the prefect descision. Their comeback issue excels even their previous editions, with new editorials which are brilliantly styled, various page sizes and weights with mini-mags inside the main one and a plethora of interviews, opinions and artistic genius.

POP one. LOVE nil.

No comments:

Post a Comment