Get Paid To Promote, Get Paid To Popup, Get Paid Display Banner -->

Saturday, January 29, 2011

Do Everything Yourself

Yesterday I found this shirt in my closet that I knew I would never wear as-is. I didn't want to throw it out, so I took literally 15 minutes out of my life and cut it up. I changed the neckline, snipped three inches off the hem, and cut out a little skull-like thing in the back. I think this is going to be a semi-epic DIY post that includes materials and instructions for everything. Bear with me. There will be no mention of Cole Mohr.

Before:
(Sorry for the horrendous quality picture. I got it off google.)

After:

(Obviously, I put the pink top under it so you could better see the skull cut-out.)
I guess you can call it style or looking like a hobo.

What you need:
1. Sharp scissors
2. An old shirt (I used one from Muji, the kind that comes packaged in a cube. Only $15.)
3. Chalk (if you are not sure of your scissoring skillzsz)
4. CREATIVITY duh

Instructions:
1. If you want to shorten the hem or change the neckline, just carefully snip off what you want. Follow the original curve of the shirt.
2. Decide what you want your cut-out to look like. If you don't want to free-hand it, draw an outline of your desired cut-out on the shirt with chalk.
3. Then cut it out.
4. You're done.
5. If you left flimsy little strands of fabric in your cut-out (like I did), you should probably hand-wash the shirt from now on.

Doing stuff yourself is always better, but if you must, you can purchase a killer skull-cut out sweater HERE.

NEXT.
DIY iPod case.

























Materials:
1. Glue gun
2. Clear case for iPod, iPhone, etc.
3. Cabochons/charms/rhinestones. I bought mine from Delish Beads. Their stuff is so adorable it will give you a metaphorical seizure. They also give you a bag of free stuff with every order.

Instructions:
1. First, glue the larger charms onto the case.
2. Then, glue the smaller ones around them.
3. Glue the rhinestones on as a finishing touch.
4. Let dry.
5. FIN.

And lastly, DIY hair bow barrette.

























Materials:
1. One chunky ribbon, one thinner ribbon
2. Barrette
3. Glue gun

Instructions:
1. Make a bow shape with the fat ribbon by folding it and pinching it in the middle.
2. Use the thin ribbon to tie off the bow where you pinched it.
3. Glue the bow to the barrette
4. Let dry and you're done.

I really want a mounted taxidermy moose head but I doubt I can make one myself. This store near my apartment called "Organic Modernism" sells some great ones but they're probably thousands of dollars booo.


Photos: "before" shirt, Ruven Afanador moose head

No comments:

Post a Comment