Get Paid To Promote, Get Paid To Popup, Get Paid Display Banner -->

Monday, January 31, 2011

Dark Glamour by Ruven Afanador, Four Loko Earrings and Ugly Shoes

I have a new obsession with Ruven Afanador's gothic-inspired work. Many of Afanador's photographs include stuffed birds, preserved fetuses, and skeletons. This is great because I love taxidermy, much to many of my peers, as well as my parents', dismay.


The above two pictures are from Evolutionize, an editorial that appeared in Elle Italia. Photographed by Ruven Afanador of course.


I do not know the title of the editorial(s) the above three photos are from (the first two may be part of Evolutionize). If anyone is graced with this knowledge please let me know. 

I'm reading Wuthering Heights in English class and when our teacher stated that the novel is a "Gothic romance," many of my insightful and intelligent classmates said stuff like, "wait, so there are GOTH people in the book?" One kid pretended to cut his wrists. It's interesting how "Goth" has become this homogenized label that people associate with anything dark. Many people don't realize that Goth not just a style of dressing, but a style of architecture and a genre of literature. Also, I have a leetle historical fact: the reason why some people assume Goth boys (or just boys who wear eyeliner) are gay is because the author of the first Gothic novel, Horace Walpole, was gay. I learned this from Gothic: Dark Glamour by Valerie Steele and Jennifer Park. You should check it out. It's quite a good book.

Yesterday I found a photo of these Four Loko earrings. They're just realistic, mini versions of Four Loko cans on an earring wire and they're thuper duper cute.
sewww kewl

Ugly shoes:
 I don't know who makes these, but no, I don't want my feet to look like Chewbacca's face.

These are Alice + Olivia for Payless. These slouchy leather "pirate" boots really, really irk me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment