Get Paid To Promote, Get Paid To Popup, Get Paid Display Banner -->

Monday, May 21, 2007

How To Dress Yourself Taller

Shopaholic sweetie, Catlin, writes in a bunch of questions related to the same idea - how to make yourself look taller:

"I am only 5 ft 1 and I weigh 90 pounds.
Are there any clothes that are definite no-no's when you're as short as me?
What should I absolutely have in my wardrobe, to make me look a bit taller?
I really like prints but in lots of magazines they say that short ppl should stick to one color to make it more lengthy. What do you think about that?
Is a one piece swimsuit flattering for my small body? I just bought one but I really don't know if a bikini is a better idea. I took pictures but I still don't know if it's a good choice. I'm afraid it makes me look bulky.
The big bags are in right now and I do like them but I always opt for smaller/medium sized bags because I think a big bag will look too big on me. Do you agree?
I also think wintercoats a bit over the knee are not a good choice for me. I have a beautiful coat but I never wear it because I think it doesn't look as good as a short one. Do you think so too?"


As I've said before, I claim no fashion expertise, I can only offer up my personal opinion, and if any readers disagree, then comment on with your take on the question. Now then...

Hey Catlin,

This is a good question - I'm sure there are lots more petites out there like you who are wondering the same things. First of all, I think you shouldn't worry so much about being short. You can only cover up or hide so much, so sometimes you just gotta work with what you have and by that, I mean, rock your pretty petite figure, girl! After all, being petite isn't such a bad thing. That being said, there are definitely a few things you can do to add some height to your look. Let's go over your questions in order:

"I am only 5 ft 1 and I weigh 90 pounds.
Are there any clothes that are definite no-no's when you're as short as me?

I've heard before that shorter ladies shouldn't wear skirts that hit mid-calf or a bit below the knee - they cut off your leg line, making you appear shorter. Opt for skirts that hits at or just above (i.e. maybe a half inch) your knee.

What should I absolutely have in my wardrobe, to make me look a bit taller?
A good pair of heels - not necessarily 5 inchers or anything - go with your comfort level, but heels instantly add inches to your height.
Also, look for vertical stripes and V-neck tops - they add visual length and will make you appear a bit taller. For work, opt for a pinstripe suit - they'll lengthen you and they're super chic.
Shop for clothes that fit really well - While well-fitting clothes add visual length, baggy clothes add visual width, making you look shorter.
Look for accessories that add visual length - long necklaces, stiletto earrings, maybe try a long scarf? Play around and see what you really like.

I really like prints but in lots of magazines they say that short ppl should stick to one color to make it more lengthy. What do you think about that?
Again, you can only hide your height so much. If you are dying to wear some prints, I say wear them! If you feel haute in prints, then wear them - who cares what anyone else thinks? Just because you're short, you should be banned from wearing fun prints? I think not!

Is a one piece swimsuit flattering for my small body? I just bought one but I really don't know if a bikini is a better idea. I took pictures but I still don't know if it's a good choice. I'm afraid it makes me look bulky.
I just saw my friend (who is about 4'10") at the pool rockin' a bikini and I thought she looked good and would have looked equally chic in a one-piece. I say wear whatever makes you feel beautiful, but if you go for a one-piece, keep the previous tip in mind and opt for a V-neck top.
Here's a cute suit - slight V-Neck and vertical stripes in the bamboo:

MICHAEL Michael Kors One Piece Bathing Suit - $98

Here's another one - solid color (in case you don't want a print) - deep V:

BCBG Max Azria One Piece Bathing Suit - $138

Images and items from nordstrom.com

The big bags are in right now and I do like them but I always opt for smaller/medium sized bags because I think a big bag will look too big on me. Do you agree?
I agree - I'd stick with the smaller/medium size. I think the super-huge bag isn't that attractive anyways.

I also think wintercoats a bit over the knee are not a good choice for me. I have a beautiful coat but I never wear it because I think it doesn't look as good as a short one. Do you think so too?
Same thing with the skirt (see above). However, if you have a beautiful coat and you love it, there's no reason to not wear it just because you think it makes you look a tad bit shorter. Of course, now that you know you don't like the slightly longer coats, you'll know better what type of coat to shop for in the future.

Live & learn, but rock those looks you love in the meantime! I think you should wear the clothes that make you feel fabulous. If you're super self-conscious about your height, then maybe stick to the fashion rules you've heard, but if you're so-so and just trying to add height, in addition to some of the tips you've heard before and read here, I'd stick to clothes that make you feel confident and happy. Afterall, you can't please everyone, so why not make yourself happy?

Anyone else have any tips for looking taller?

No comments:

Post a Comment