Get Paid To Promote, Get Paid To Popup, Get Paid Display Banner -->

Thursday, June 10, 2010

10 Ways to Reach Blond Ambition

A college friend of mine, Ana, asked me today "How do you keep your hair looking so healthy even though you dye it? Seriously...blond hair usually looks damaged, and yours is always silky...I died it brown in the end as it was burned".

I thought if I'm going to give advice I might as well share it with anyone else who may be interested.

I'm lucky to have good genes, but I know what damaged it and made it dry and porous in the past, as Ana describes. When the hair is dry it also starts to split and break easily, which prevents you from being able to grow it long.

#1 Eat well. Full article.

#2 I dye as rarely as I can, and only do half-head of highlights (�30 at Nicky Clarke...full story published earlier, and they won't use bleach, unless you insist). I also prefer natural products like Korres herb dye. It always seems like dying it brown will make it shiny, but really it just damages it more. The best thing to do is stick to your best colour...as hard as it is not to crave change. And be careful with Henna - it's healthy, but it's really strong and if you try to dye back afterwards you will end up having to do more damage.

#3 Use organic shampoo. Better for you, the hair, and the environment. Plenty of brands are doing them.  Label M, Aveda etc. Avoid stuff that dries out your scalp in one use...like Herbal Essences or Fructis...imagine what it does to your hair, especially if it's long and been there for years.

#4 A really good conditioner is the most important aspect to me. If you can easily brush afterwards it means you're breaking less hair. It will also make it softer, silkier, shinier for longer. When I say conditioner, I mean a hair masque, because conditioner is not intense enough for long hair. If you want something cheap Aussie 3 Minute Miracle IS a miracle in the states, but somehow the same product in UK is lacking. Otherwise, I recently discovered my first choice at London Fashion Week - Label M Intense Mask. Toni & Guy sell it at their salons, but you can also get it online. It smells amazing, and I feel like I don't have to brush at all.

#5 I only blowdry if I have to. Otherwise I always let it dry naturally. Obviously hairdryers can cause a lot of dryness, especially if you use it a few times a week for years. However, these days you can find "ionic" dryers that apparently improve the condition of your hair making it more shiny. Here's a full story. If you decide it can't hurt to try, do your research, you can get one second hand so you don't have to cough up a lot of money for it.

#6 When my hair has naturally dried, if I need to I use a curler or straightener I use heat protective products. Like GHD spray. Some heat tools like Jose Eber straighteners (at Selfridges) also claim to benefit hair.

#7 If you need to, you can always add some leave-in conditioner. I love Schwarzkopf Bonacure.

#8 Now there's also spray on shine like L'Oreal tecni.art Gloss...another something I discovered during Fashion Week.

#9 A brush that doesn't break hair is a great tool as well. Boots in UK now has a novelty brush called the Tangle Teezer with soft bristles that allow for pain free detangling and extra shine for only �9.99

#10 Last but not least, this product helps my hair keep it's youth as I get older, and will help those who need it cheat the genes. It also apparently actually grows new hair too, so if you're bald, need more volume, or like me and just want more more more...talk to me about Reliv cause that's another story.

No comments:

Post a Comment